Wednesday, August 8, 2007

ironing is dumb

What a worthless day at work today. I didn't even have a chance to work on any of the projects I hoped to accomplish. I started out by going out to a big-wig's house to fix his wireless network. That took me a couple hours, and when I got to the office, I discovered the air conditioner in my office was broken. Not a big deal, because I had a voicemail from someone having trouble with their e-mail, so I left and spent about two and a half hours on that before I had to do an "emergency" virus scan (don't even get me started) which took me most of the rest of the afternoon. Then I had to go back and finish working on the e-mail problem because it still wasn't done, despite the fact that I'd specifically asked no fewer than two co-workers in my group to look at it because I was tied up on another project. So it's the end of the day, and I haven't really accomplished anything except keep my to-do list from getting any longer than it already is.

But the really fun stuff is what I did after work. I just don't understand how people get anything done in life. So tonight, I finally left work and got to my car around seven. I decided to go to church since I would arrive right on time, and I haven't been in a few weeks. So I finally get home around 8:15 and immediately throw some clothes in and start the washing machine. Then I fix some mediocre leftover pizza in the microwave and eat dinner. But then I need to go grocery shopping because I want to try and take lunch to work more so I don't spend so much money eating out. So I go shopping, come home, put away the groceries, take out the garbage, and get the mail. But I have to take my clothes out of the wash, which means I have to unload the clothes that are already in the dryer, which means I have to put away the clothes that are already in my laundry basket. Once that's all done, I need to iron my clothes and hang them up. Aside: what's so great about having nicely ironed clothes anyway? Can't we all agree that it's just a huge waste of time, and that we'd be more productive as a society if we just decided that wrinkled clothes are fashionable and expended the time and energy we devote to ironing on more useful endeavors? Anyway, if I want to get to work by 8 a.m., I need to set my alarm for about six, which means I need to be asleep at 10:00 if I want eight hours of sleep. But it's already 11:30 and I'm just now getting ready for bed. And I didn't even go through my mail or load the dishwasher or clean the apartment or study for my certifications or do any of the other million things I should do.

1 comment:

Hollywood said...

All I have to say is that you need to stop ironing and take out the clothes from the dryer as soon as it's done. If you do that, then there's no need to iron. Cuts down on one thing off that long list of yours!